At this stage of your baby’s development, his mobility has increased immensely. He’s probably starting to crawl and wants to grab any object that is in sight. Babies want to explore and discover their world and they do it in the best way they know: taking objects to their mouth. They discover textures and shapes this way, not to mention taste! Knowing that babies are highly mobile, it is very important to child-proof your home and verify that there aren’t any harmful objects at your little one’s reach.
For babies, there is no object that is off limits. If they see an object that gets their attention and is within their reach, they will take it whether it is dangerous or not. At this age, they can’t discriminate between safe and dangerous objects. That’s why it is recommendable for parents to “walk in their babies shoes” by crawling around the house and identifying and removing any possible danger that might be in their reach.
Sometimes, despite our effort to eliminate dangerous objects, our babies cleverly find objects that we don’t see. The objects that our children find can be dangerous, like batteries, sharp objects or other objects small enough to be swallowed, but large enough to obstruct their breathing. When swallowed, some small objects like coins or small marbles, go directly to the stomach without causing much trouble. Larger objects can cause damage to the esophagus, stomach and intestines, or cause obstruction in breathing.
Is it stuck?
Swallowing small objects must be evacuated through feces regularly within 2 days, but it can take up to 4 to 5 days.
Watch out for these signs that the object could not go through:
• Chest or stomach pain
• Your baby can’t drink or eat
• Excess salivation
Contact emergency paramedics if your baby:
• Has trouble breathing or crying
• Has trouble swallowing
• Is drooling or salivating to much
• Is breathing loudly or making a whistling sound
Take your child to the doctor he has swallowed a dangerous object such as a battery, sharp item, or medication.