At first, baths will be uncomfortable for your baby. You take off their clothes, they feel cold, and then you get them wet without their permission! This can scare or startle them, causing an uproar. It doesn’t always have to be so, if we strive to make bath time as comfortable, relaxing, and fun as possible, our children will learn to enjoy it.
Tips for having a great bath time experience with your child
To help our children adapt to bath time, we must be calm and confident ourselves. It might be something very new for you too and it can be a bit nerve-wracking, but remember that babies perceive emotions, so take a deep breath and empathize with your little one! You’ll soon see that bathing them is a perfect opportunity to build affectionate bonds. They even can relax us as well!
During the first months, babies are too young to play, but they never get tired of our affection. With this in mind, you can do the following to make bath time an enjoyable, fun experience for you and your baby:
- Sing to your child while you bathe them. They will surely love it and it will increase their musical and language skills!
- Talk and guide them through the process. You can tell them a story or simply talk to them about what you’re doing. Use baby talk, children like it a lot and benefit from its intonations!
- Continue to stimulate your baby’s language by naming each body part while you clean them. You can use funny voices to make it more interesting. Don’t forget to show a lot of affection!
- You can tell stories during bath time! There are some stories you can read to your little one or tell a story to encourage making this a fun activity.
- Try to stimulate your baby’s senses. You can foster their sense of touch with the textures of what you use in the bath, like sponges, soap, or a dry towel!
- Introduce some bath time toys such as rubber ducks or toys to encourage your little one’s imaginative play while they are in the bath.
- Play with bubbles in the bath! You can use soap to make and watch bubbles in the air. With this, you can teach your baby about the concepts of size too!
- Finally, try to bathe your little one at the same time every day so that they begin to get used to a routine and anticipate it.
We hope these activities help you during this bonding time with your baby. If you have any other ideas to make bath time fun for your little one, share them in the comment section below!