It’s important to find the right book, keeping in mind that it fits your child’s interests, maturity, and reading level. Here are some basic things to look out for.
Infants and toddlers (birth – age 2)
- Look for books with big and colorful pictures of familiar objects.
- They should be written in short, simple sentences and may include rhymes that are fun to read aloud and easy for your little one to eventually imitate.
- Go for thick cardboard, plastic or cloth books. These are usually perfect for small children to handle and experiment with (and they’ll survive it because they can easily be wiped clean).
- Think tactile – stimulate your child’s senses with books with different textures or scents.
- Find stories about everyday life and events like bedtime, baths, or mealtime, especially if they’re illustrated with photos of children who are your child’s age or a bit older.
- Stories that review basic concepts like colors, shapes, letters and numbers are always good to have around.
- Finally, think about your child’s passions and look for books about them! What plot line will he or she enjoy the most?
Where can you find these books? They’re everywhere! Get to know the children’s section of your local library or bookstore or simply order them online. There are tons of great lists of recommended books, take a look at these: