- Fresh starts require clear goals and healthy habits, not just waiting for a new year.
- Keep New Year’s resolutions simple, focusing on one to three achievable things for the year.
- Use the SMART goal method: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely.
- Draw inspiration from team members’ resolutions to create your own meaningful goals.
Getting a fresh start doesn’t magically happen when the clock hits midnight; it happens by making clear goals and building healthy habits.
With New Year’s resolutions, simpler is better. Try to pick just one to three things that you’d like to accomplish in 2021. Some people choose habits while others focus on character traits. Events or actions, like running a 5K or buying only organic vegetables, also work.
For some, it helps to use the SMART goal method.
- Every day in 2021 (timely), I will walk (specific and attainable) for 15 minutes (realistic and measurable).
- I want to be more patient with others. Starting on January 1 (timely), I’ll practice this by counting to 5 in my head (specific and measurable) and taking a deep breath (realistic) before responding when I notice myself getting upset with someone or something (attainable).
Studies show that this mindset helps you make and stick to your goals better.
Need ideas for creating your own New Year’s resolutions? Here are a few ideas from our team to get you started.
My New Year’s resolution is to drink a full glass of water every day after I wake up. -Riley
My New Year’s resolution is to be brave enough to embrace change. I will face new challenges with a positive attitude by being open, taking risks, and enjoying the here and now. – Inés
My New Year’s resolution is to learn to let go more easily, and to leave the bad things in the past. My theme song that day should be “Let it go” 😂 – Laila
My New Year’s resolution is to be a happier morning person and also to be more productive and organized. I will try to accomplish this by trying to procrastinate less and by setting a schedule for my tasks each day of the week. – Mariana
As a way of exploring my state, I want to visit five waterfalls next year. – Alex