1. Babies at this stage are becoming more mobile, crawling and exploring their surroundings by putting objects in their mouths to discover textures and tastes.
2. Due to their curiosity and inability to differentiate between safe and harmful items, it’s crucial to child-proof your home and remove potential dangers within their reach.
3. Babies might find objects we don’t notice, including hazardous items like batteries or small objects that can be swallowed, posing risks to their breathing and internal organs.
4. Watch for signs like pain, difficulty eating or drinking, vomiting, fever, and excessive salivation, and seek medical attention if a baby struggles with breathing, swallowing, or has ingested dangerous objects like batteries or sharp items.
At this stage of your baby’s development, his mobility has increased immensely. He’s probably starting to crawl and wants to grab any object that is in sight. Babies want to explore and discover their world, and they do it in the best way they know: by taking objects to their mouth. They discover textures and shapes this way, not to mention taste! Since babies move around a lot, it is very important to child-proof your home and verify that there aren’t any harmful objects at your little one’s reach.
For babies, there is no object that is off limits. If they see an object that gets their attention and it is within their reach, they will take it whether it is dangerous or not. At this age, they can’t discriminate between safe and dangerous things. That’s why it is recommend to “walk in your baby’s shoes” by crawling around the house and identifying and removing any possible danger that he might reach.
Sometimes, despite our effort to eliminate dangerous objects, our babies cleverly find objects that we don’t see. These can be dangerous, like batteries, sharp objects, or other objects small enough to be swallowed, but large enough to obstruct their breathing. When swallowed, some small objects, like coins or small marbles, go directly to the stomach without causing much trouble. Larger objects can cause damage to the esophagus, stomach, and intestines, or cause obstruction in breathing.
Is it stuck?
Swallowing small objects must be evacuated through feces regularly within 2 days, but it can take up to 4 to 5 days.
Watch out for these signs that indicate that the object could not go through:
- Chest or stomach pain
- Your baby can’t drink or eat
- Excess salivation
Contact emergency paramedics if your baby:
- Has trouble breathing or crying
- Has trouble swallowing
- Is drooling or salivating to much
- Is breathing loudly or making a whistling sound
Take your child to the doctor if he has swallowed a dangerous object such as a battery, a sharp item, or any medication.