Excited about the arrival of the new addition to the family? Absolutely! But, wait a moment… What about our pets? It’s normal for our furry friends to feel a bit unsure amidst all these changes. Suddenly, a mini-human comes along and takes away the attention that used to be solely for them. But fear not, with a little planning, everything will turn out just fine!
- First, make sure your furry buddies are in top-notch health. Visit the veterinarian for a complete checkup. Nobody wants fleas or ticks around.
- Now, let’s give them a sneak peek of what’s to come. Invite those friends with babies over so your pets can get used to those unique smells and sounds.
- Does your pet have a bit of a “spicy” personality? If they’ll be outside the house from now on, establish that rule consistently.
- Have your partner or a friend or family member introduce the pet to an object with the baby’s scent before the little one arrives home. That way, they’ll become familiar from the very beginning.
- The baby’s room should be off-limits to your pets, at least at the beginning.
- When it comes to bonding time, supervise your baby and your pet as they learn to get along, setting boundaries with love and patience.
If you have any concerns about the way your pet might have an impact on your baby’s health, make sure you talk to your doctor, and even your vet about it, so they can help you establish safe boundaries for everyone.
Remember, even amidst the chaos that can come with a baby, it’s important to try to maintain a routine with your pet. If you can’t take your dog for a walk, seek help! Exercise is key to make sure they stay happy and healthy.
If your little furry friend doesn’t react too well to the new family member, it might be a good idea to seek help from a professional dog trainer. But if you still have doubts about how your pet will adapt to the baby, there’s always the option of finding them a new home where they’ll be safe.
Remember, act with love and patience, and always put safety first! Let’s get ready for this big change and make this new stage an exciting adventure for everyone.