- Parents are often overloaded during the winter holidays and it’s important to set reasonable expectations and prioritize what’s important.
- Working together with friends or family members can help lighten the load of holiday tasks.
- Keeping a routine for babies and toddlers during the winter holidays can provide stability and security.
- Prioritizing connecting with loved ones and letting go of perfection can help reduce stress and create meaningful memories.
The winter festivities with a baby or toddler are like no other. And yet, while for many the holidays are the most wonderful time of the year, it goes without saying that this magical season also comes with an important amount of overload for many parents. Some of us can even end up taking on too many tasks and then end up feeling depleted. Here we have some tips and hacks for making this winter holidays magical and stress-free.
- Don’t over-schedule. When it comes to tasks, set reasonable expectations for yourself, and have fun doing these, rather than stressing about doing everything. Think about what you want for your little one and make it into an archivable target. You don’t need to overstretch; the festivities will be magical just by having people you love together.
- Work together. For example, if you have a mountain of gifts to wrap or heaps of cupcakes and goodies to bake, why don’t you invite a good friend or family member over to your place, so you can wrap and bake while an older cousin helps babysit in the other room?
- Try to keep a routine. During the winter holidays, it is easy to let our routines relax too much. However, babies need the stability and security of their daily routines that signal when it’s time for bed, for example. Remember that the activities, parties, and schedules of the season can leave even the most social baby or active toddler feeling a bit tired or grumpy.
- Prioritize connecting with your loved ones! If your children are too young to help around, you may need to limit the tasks you undertake. Little ones value the time with you far more than having the perfect decorations. The memories you will cherish forever are the ones that create tradition and bring a sense of belonging and wonder into everyday life.
- Try to let go of perfection and find ways to nurture yourself.