There are different types of formula presentations on the market. Amongst all of the choices, you can buy formula in the form of powder or concentrate. No matter which type you choose, it’s very important to prepare according to the instructions of each specific brand. Below are the basic steps that will help you prepare a bottle in the best way:
1. Wash your hands thoroughly to avoid contamination.
2. Grab a sterilized bottle and place it over a clean area for preparation.
3. Add the adequate portion of sterilized/purified water to the bottle, verifying at eye level that you have the right quantity for the amount of formula you will use. (To sterilize water you can boil it or buy a specialized baby brand.)
4. Measure the powdered formula carefully with the scoop that comes in the package. Fill each scoop to the top, leveling with a knife so you don’t have surplus or lacking amount.
5. If you are using concentrated formula, measure the adequate amount inside your baby’s bottle, not forgetting to check at eye level. Continue adding an equivalent amount of sterilized water to the concentrate.
6. Shake thoroughly to make sure the formula is well incorporated with the water.
7. If you didn’t use all the concentrated formula, cover the container thoroughly and store it in your refrigerator; use it within 48 hours. Likewise, carefully cover your formula container and store in a dry place.
Once the bottle is prepared, you can feed your baby! There is no need to warm or cool the formula, just make sure to prepare with room temperature water. Remember to feed your baby within the hour or preparation if formula were to be stored at room temperature. If the hour passed or your little one did not finish his portion throw it away. If you know your baby will not drink his bottle within the hour of preparation you can safely store it in the refrigerator and use it within the next 24 hours.